CLESOL July 2014 ‘Connecting Across the Ditch’ workshop
This workshop is presented by Lesley Cioccarelli and myself on Friday 11th in the Teaching ESOL stream from 1040 to 1145am.
A screencast video of the Powerpoint will be added in this space AFTER the workshop.
Here is the handout from the workshop:
Connecting ‘Across the Ditch’ and Beyond
Take charge of your own professional development.
A workshop presented by Lesley Cioccarelli & Yvonne Hynson at CLESOL 2014
Why should you use the Internet to develop a PLN?
To ‘meet’ teachers from around the world and exchange ideas with them.
Keep up-to-date with all the latest developments in TESOL.
Access an infinite pool of resources through links given by other teachers.
Enter a virtual staffroom which is available 24/7 to get answers to questions or inspiration for lessons.
Learn about webinars, conferences and other (free) online PD.
How can you use the internet to develop a PLN?
Twitter ( www.twitter.com
Facebook ( www.facebook.com
Linked-in ( www.linkedin.com
Google + ( www.plus.google.com
aPLaNet ( aplanet-project.org
EFL Classroom 2.0 ( community.eflclassroom.com
Online conferences ( see links over page
Online workshops (
Connect with Us
Twitter Hashtags & Chats
|EAPchat||Every 2nd Monday||#EAPchat||www.facebook.com/EAPChat|
|AsiaELT||Every 2nd Tuesday||#AsiaELT|
|KELTChat||Every 2nd Sunday||#KELTchat||keltchat.wordpress.com/|
ELTPics – a really useful resource – photos shared by teachers from around the world and organised by category to be used in classrooms.
Webinars & Other Free Online CPD
The following organisations offer free webinars for teachers on a huge
- Cambridge English Teacher – http://www.cambridgeenglishteacher.org/
- Pearson ELT – http://www.pearsonelt.com/professionaldevelopment
- Oxford University Press ELT – http://elt.oup.com/feature/global/webinars/
- Macmillan webinars – http://www.macmillanenglish.com/webinars/
- American TESOL weekly webinars – http://americantesol.com/tesol-lectures.htm
- EVO Electronic Village Online – http://evosessions.pbworks.com
- SEETA – www.seeta.eu
- International Teacher Development Institute (iTDi) – http://itdi.pro/itdihome/index.php
There are too many terrific blogs to recommend them all, but here are some lists you can consult to find some other teachers recommend:
More about Connecting
- The Best Ways ESL/EFL/ELL Teachers Can Develop Personal Learning Networks – http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2009/11/07/the-best-ways-esleflell-teachers-can-develop-personal-learning-networks/
- Online Professional Development for English Language Teachers – Connect, Communicate, Collaborate, & Create! Learn about a variety of resources and courses for teachers’ professional development –http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS4kK-cCmoA